Chiang Mai

The People

Unlike other tourist destinations in Thailand, where a large chunk of the population consists of migrant workers, 80% of the population in Chiang Mai are locals (the other 20% consist of students, migrant workers and expats). The majority of the local natives are employed within the agricultural sector, which is the area’s largest industry. The people are warm, welcoming and in general very friendly and willing to befriend you, should you give them the chance!

c10_people

Photo credit

History

The city of Chiang Mai was established in 1296 as the capital city of the Lanna Kingdom, which covered most of northern Thailand as well as areas of neighbouring Myanmar, Laos and China. The city of Chiang Mai was eventually invaded and captured by the Burmese army in 1557 and incorporated into present day Myanmar as a vassal state. Eventually, the Burmese were finally driven out of Chiang Mai in 1774 and was once again part of the Lanna Kingdom and eventually became a province of Thailand (known back then as Siam) in 1932.

c11_history

Photo credit

Food

If you love Thai food, then you’ll love Chiang Mai! Some of Northern Thailand’s best food can be found on the streets of Chiang Mai. From the signature Northern dish of Khao Soi (yellow egg noodles in coconut curry soup), the delicious Sai Ua (grilled pork sausage, also known as the “Chiang Mai sausage”) to the addictive Sarabao (steamed buns filled with either sweet or savoury fillings), the food in Chiang Mai is something you won’t get tired of soon.

c12_food

Photo credit